Sharp, its subsidiaries and other related companies, recognises the importance of privacy in relation to information management of customers, suppliers and all those external to the management and staff of the airline.
We are committed to taking all reasonably available measures to comply with the relevant privacy laws designed to protect your privacy.
Important Privacy Areas
- Collection of personal information by us
- Where your personal information is stored
- Use of Personal Information
- Exchange of personal information with third parties
- Use and disclosure of personal information us
- Access and correction of your personal information
Collection of personal information by us
In addition to our need to collect personal information to provide services, we are also required to collect personal information under the laws pertaining to civil aviation and air travel.
The kinds of personal information we collect and store will depend on what products and services you request from us. However, it may include:
- Personal information you give us when you request a product or service from us. This information may include your intended travel dates, place of departure, intended destination and whether you are an adult or a child;
- Personal information you give us when you make a flight booking. This information may include your name, address, telephone number/s, email address, credit card details, SharpFlyer membership number;
- Communications between you and us;
- Transactional information about your use of our products and services (for example your feedback on your flight experience with us); and
- If you are applying for an employment position, we will collect relevant information relevant to your application. Please see Employment section below.
Storing of personal information
Storing of personal information depends on what products and services you have requested from us. However, some areas may include (amongst other things):
- Our booking system for use in processing transactions, providing confirmation of flights, being aware of any special travel requirements (health or otherwise) and confirming identity;
- Feedback databases for processing customer feedback; and
- Email databases for SharpFlyer membership.
We take reasonable steps to preserve your personal information from loss, unauthorised access, modification or disclosure. We regularly review developments in security and encryption technologies.
Unfortunately, no data transmission over the Internet can be guaranteed as totally secure. Accordingly, although we strive to protect such information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us or from our online products or services and, you do so at your own risk. Once we receive your transmission, we take reasonable steps to preserve the security of the information in our own systems.
If a substantial data breach has or may have occurred (that is, your personal information was shared with unauthorised entities), we will promptly take the appropriate action.
We only keep your personal information for as long as it is required for the purpose for which it was collected or as otherwise required by law.
Use of Personal Information
We collect your personal information so that we can use it for our functions and activities and to provide services to you including:
- Processing your flight booking and any flight booking of a person travelling with you;
- Being aware of any special travel requirements (health or otherwise) you or your travelling companion may have;
- Providing you with confirmation of your flight booking and advising you of any changes to your itinerary;
- Confirming your identity when you check in;
- Processing and considering your employment application;
- Addressing any feedback or complaints you may have;
- Assisting Customs and Immigration officials;
- Answering any queries you may have;
- Developing and marketing our products and services;
- Conducting research about our products and services; and
- Collecting payment from you for services or goods we supply to you.
If you do not provide us with your personal information, we will be unable to do one or more of the above, including being unable to accept any flight booking.
If you also subscribe to our mailing list, we may email to you updates about our products and services. If you do not wish to remain a subscriber to our mailing list or otherwise receive updates on our products and services, you are able to unsubscribe from our mailing list via our website, or by contacting our Reservation Centre.
If you are making a flight booking for yourself and other persons to the same destination, you acknowledge that your personal information will be shared with such other persons.
Exchange of personal information with third parties
Personal information we collect from you may be disclosed to:
- Any entity to which we are required or authorised by or under law to disclose such information (for instance, law enforcement agencies and investigative agencies, courts, various other government bodies);
- Our subsidiaries, other related entities, contractors or agents for the purposes set out in the section above entitled "How your personal information will be used", or for other purposes directly related to the purpose for which the personal information is collected;
- Other airlines or travel-related businesses for the purpose of processing your travel arrangements;
- Others in the event of a medical emergency or aircraft incident;
- Others that you have been informed of at the time any personal information is collected from you;
- Your travelling companions where you have booked a flight for yourself and other person(s) to the same destination;
- Our business associates and others for purposes directly related to the purpose for which the personal information is collected;
- Airport management and security personnel;
- Our professional advisors and other contractors (for example: IT consultants and mailing houses); or
- Other parties, with your consent (express or implied).
Use and disclosure of personal information
If we use or disclose your personal information for a purpose (the "secondary purpose") other the main reason for which it was originally collected (the "primary purpose"), to the extent required by law, we will ensure that:
- The secondary purpose is related to the primary purpose of collection (and directly related in the case of sensitive information) and you would reasonably expect that we would use or disclose your information in that way; or
- You have consented to the use or disclosure of your personal information for the secondary purpose; or
- The use or disclosure is required or authorised by or under law; or
- The use or disclosure is otherwise permitted by law (for example: as a necessary part of an investigation of suspected unlawful activity).
We collect information included in your employment application, for example, your name, mailing address, telephone number, e-mail address, career history, education details or other information relating to your career.
In considering your application, we may also obtain personal information about you from third parties, for example, from your previous employers or nominated referees. We may also collect sensitive information about you such as information about your health (including any disability) or any criminal record that you may have.
We collect personal information for any one or more of the following purposes. To:
- Assess you for a position or positions with us or our related entities;
- Assess whether you are suitable to progress to each stage of the recruitment process for a vacant position; or
- Store your information for future job opportunities.
If you do not provide us with the information we seek, we will be unable to do one or more of the above.
We may disclose your personal information to:
- Organisations that conduct competency or psychometric tests;
- Referees or previous employers;
- Recruitment agencies or related entities acting on our behalf;
- Our related entities;
- Law enforcement agencies to verify whether you have a criminal record; or
- Educational or vocational organisations to the extent necessary to verify your qualifications.
Access and correction of your personal information
You can ask to obtain access to your personal information that we and/or our contractors hold, although, under some circumstances permitted by law, we may not provide such information to you. Also, we may not be able to require our contractors to provide personal information to you.
We may ask you to put your request in writing and, pay a reasonable fee levied by us, for providing you with the information you have requested.
We may also ask you to provide us with some proof of identification before releasing or correcting your personal information. It is important to us that the personal information we hold about you is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
We will deal with your request within a reasonable time and, if we decide not to correct or provide you with access to your personal information, we will give you our reasons for our decision.